I stood before a burning building Friday.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

I was standing on a sidewalk and there were six of us there watching it burn. There were many men and woman trapped inside. I know of one who escaped and was taken to a place where she would be cared for properly. Luckily it was just down the street and one of my friends was kind enough to escort the young woman there safely. I was so thankful she was able to find a way out. (God always promises a way out.)

1 Corinthians 10:13 says,
No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able,
but with the temptation will also make the way of escape,
that you may be able to bear it.


Standing outside this building can be heart-wrenching. You see, this building is constantly burning. There is no extinguisher. This fire is fueled by sin. This is a fire that most people do escape from. Men and women may escape but not without the stains from the ashes on (and in) them. Stains that no human can wipe clear. Stains that no human can wash clean. Many times, the stains of ash remain for years and years. And many times, forever.

Only through Christ is there healing for those who make it out of this burning building.

If you're considering going in anyway, I pray you'll recognize the smell of burning lies. I pray you'll hear the voices of those praying for you outside on the sidewalk. I pray you'll hear the Father speak to your heart over all the empty promises you'll be witnesses to inside those walls that are slowly burning. I pray you will hear His voice, STAND UP, and walk out of the place.

Let Him dust the ashes off your feet and wash them clean.

You will never regret having escaped the burning building. Promise.


(This post was inspired by a long conversation with my mother this morning while we spoke of the abortion clinic. How it feels to stand on a sidewalk so close to four enclosed walls that hold the helpless whom we are unable to save. Mom explained it as a burning building.)

No comments: